Q Jars of Clay -Show You Love, Philippines 2005 Concert & Fans Club: Jars of Experience by joel14thwarrior

Friday, March 18, 2005

Jars of Experience by joel14thwarrior

It was around the summer of 2001 when I started to appreciate the
songs of Jars of Clay. I have heard of the band way back in high
school during my sophomore years (1995), but did not explore their
music then. As I was listening to 99.5 RT, they played "Famous Last
Word" and at once I came to like the song. That moment, my interest on
the band started.

I had this great friend and his name is Arlfren "Gundamzer0." We were
classmates in organic chemistry (Chem 40). He had one of their albums,
entitled "If I Left The Zoo." I borrowed it from him sometime in July
of the same year. Summer was already over and school has begun. That
month was somber for he died on the 16th day. My semester just turned
ugly and painful. I could have known him more…I could have spent more
time with him, but the Lord already took him away from me. Soon I
learned to understand! I still thanked God for giving me the
opportunity to know Arlfren even for a short time. I was no longer
able to return the tape before he passed away. I just kept it safe and
secure in my room as a lasting memory of him. As I listened to the
other songs from that album, I began to appreciate their style of
music. The song "River Constantine" was for me the coolest!

A year later, in January, I went to Michigan State as an exchange
student. There, I met Matt. He attends Spartan Christian Fellowship.
We stayed on the same dormitory, he was on the first floor of the
building, while I was on the fourth floor. We were also classmate in
Unit Ops (ChE 316). I learned he had a CD of Jars of Clay self titled
album. I borrowed the CD from him, and in return, I lend him my CD "No
Name Face" from Lifehouse. Soon we became good friends. I joined them
in their cell group. We conducted bible study at East McDonel Hall
once a week. He treated me to the Iowa-MSU men's hoop. One time, I
asked favor from him because I had to apologize to my Aunt on
something. Spring Break has just ended and my Aunt came all the way
from New York to spend that week with me. She stayed at Howard
Johnson, and I had to see her before she leaves. So I asked Matt if he
could take me there. He looked around for people on the dorm who could
lend us a car and fortunately someone offered his. Great! On our way
to the inn, he turned on the car's CD player and plugged the
self-titled album of Jars. I learned that "Worlds Apart" was also his
favorite, and when it was played, we turned the volume higher! The
melody was just great. The message of the song was inspiring. I can
relate well to the lyrics because I could see my old and present life
on it. Here's a clip of the lyrics,

I look beyond the empty cross
Forgetting what my life has cost
And wipe away the crimson stains
And dull the nails that still remain
More and more I need You now
I owe You more each passing hour
Battle between grace and pride
I gave up not so long ago
So steal my heart and take the pain
Wash the feet and cleanse my pride
Take the selfish, take the weak
And all the things I cannot hide
Take the beauty, take the tears
The sin-soaked heart and make it Yours
Take my world apart
Take it now, take it now
And serve the ones that I despise
Speak the words I can't deny
Watch the world I used to love
Fall to dust and thrown away

Take my world apart
Take my world apart
I pray, and I pray, and I pray
Take my world apart
Worlds apart

Sometime in January or early February, I learned about "Eleventh
Hour" the fourth album of Jars of Clay, set to be released around
March of 2002. There was a rebate promo if you order early, so I did.
I purchased the CD in advance. I got hold of it, together with the
rebate, the second day after the release date. I bought the album from
a music store located somewhere in Okemos. Their fourth album was just
as great as the first and third. The songs "Fly," "Silence,"
"Something Beautiful," and "Edge of Water," are the ones I like the
most!

From then on, I already considered Jars of Clay, as my personal best
rock artist. I never knew then that rock music could be made in a way
that is pleasing to God and soothing to the soul. I have read some
information about them, and most people actually admire and consider
them as among the best Christian rock artists, having won and having
been nominated to the Grammy's for several times. Indeed, they have
established a flagship on the Christian contemporary music scene.

Spring semester came to an end, Matt and I departed from each other
unmindful that I still had his Jars of Clay and he still had my
Lifehouse. And so, I flew back to Philippines with his CD!!

Three years later, early January, Rainier told me that Jars of Clay
would be coming to the Philippines for a concert! Ow Yeah! We were
then going to Alabang Festival Mall to watch "Meet the Fockers." As
soon as I learned of it, my heart turned upbeat in excitement! I have
longed to watch them perform live. When I was still at MSU, I would
surf over the net and look for their upcoming concert line-ups near my
school. Unfortunately, there was not a schedule that fits my time…not
even in Detroit. I did not expect that it would be here in the
Philippines where I'm going to see them, to think that it is in the US
where you can have more chances of watching them. At once, I rushed to
the Araneta Coliseum one free weekend to buy a ticket. It was
memorable when I bought the ticket 'coz the ticket sales agent told me
that I was the first person to get hold of an upper box B ticket.

Then came the concert day, March 2, 2005. I have prepared for this. I
am already working and I had to adjust my schedule so that I could be
free on that day! Rainier and I decided to meet at Digital Digs Café
at 12 noon, eat our lunch before taking a bus. We arrived at the Big
Dome at around 5 pm. The concert was scheduled to start at 8 pm and
the gates opened at around 6:30 pm. Since we arrived early, we decided
to eat first at Pizza Hut Bistro, located just beside the coliseum. We
learned of it from a Taco Bell boy who has standing at the green gate
giving flyers. We ordered a family size pan pizza! I have never been
to a unique Pizza Hut before. Here, you can order a variety of
sumptuous meals other than the usual pizzas and side orders. The
ambiance was cool. Each table has a lit candle and a display of a
wine. They served free popcorn. Isko texted us and said he can join.
Yeah, we were three then! Rainier got his ticket from a street rep,
Isko got it complimentary, while I got it from ticketnet, cool! Isko
had the opportunity to talk to the band when they visited ABS-CBN. He
works there. He said that the interview was a bit nervous and
unbelievable for he did not expect he will be assigned to do that! He
told me they were really kind and humble!

At about 8:30pm, the concert started with a front act from Barbie's
Cradle. When it was Jar's turn, the crowd began to stand on their feet
and yell on top of their lungs. The first song that they played was "I
Need You" from the "Eleventh Hour" album and my throat already got
exhausted that early but I still managed to cheer for them 'til the
end. The three of us were jamming like we were situated front most. We
would jump to the drumbeats, lift our hands in the air in praise to
God. We would sing along, swing/clap left and right, let and right,
left and right. They played a lot of songs. As far as a could
remember, they were "Liquid," "He," "Like a Child," "Love Song for a
Savior," "Flood," "Worlds Apart," from their first album; "Crazy
Times," "Five Candles," "Tea and Sympathy," from their second album;
"I'm Alright," "Unforgetful You," from their third album; "Disappear,"
"Fly," "I Need You," from their fourth album; "Show You Love," "Sunny
Days," from their soon to be released fifth album, as well as "God
Lift Up Our Heads" a re-make included in their Redemption album. While
the songs were being played, I would reminisce some of the things that
happened to me during my college days, especially those times with
Arlfren and Matt, together with the good memories that I had at
Michigan State and University of the Philippines. The "Unforgetful
You" surprise gig was cool…no wonder the crowd was into it. When they
played "Worlds Apart," I just sat down, sang quietly and cried a bit.
They said it took them six months to make that powerful song. I was
particularly heartened to hear them said that among the songs that
they played, they haven't sang two of them at other concerts for
years, and they played them to us! After the last song, the crowd
would not leave, and we began to shout "We love Jars…we love Jars…"
and "Moooore…mooore." If not for their kindness, they would not have
played two more songs. The last song "Tea and Sympathy," was cool.
Thousands of cell phones flickered the dome and it looked wonderful
from our viewpoint! After the concert, we took pictures of ourselves
inside the coliseum as remembrance. I was hoping Dan would pass us by.
We went to Isko's office at ABS-CBN before sleeping over to their
house. He still had some work to do. Isko toured us around the
studios. We saw Erwin and Bernadette live while they were broadcasting
"The Insider." I was again hoping that Jars would pass us by again at
ABS-CBN before they get to rest and sleep in their hotel.
---
"Thank you Jars of Clay for coming to the Philippines, the first in
Asia, and among the few places visited outside United States! We
really had a great time with you at the concert! I may not had the
chance to come face to face with you guys, but I know that someday,
somehow, in God's time, I will shake hands with you and have Arlfren's
tape signed. God bless!"

2 Corinthians 4:7 "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show
that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

by:
joel14thwarrior
24 years old
Instructor at UP Los Banos

No comments: